Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The dream is still alive.

I can't believe it is nearly two years since I last posted.  I guess it is running around after a toddler that is keeping me busy.

A quick update on what has happened since I was last here.
  • We are still on our little farm with sheep, goats, chickens and now a cow!  We have been hatching our own eggs and raising the roosters for meat.
  • I have completed a couple of gardening courses learning about Permaculture and am working on applying the principles to our block.
  • I am in the process of designing a forest garden within my existing orchard.  As this progresses I will share more information on how this is going.
  • I have been dabbling with more preserving techniques such as dehydrating, fruit liqueurs, jams, and chutneys.



Goals for this year
  • Continue to learn about and apply permaculture principles, including establishing forest gardens.
  • Make cheese, butter and yogurt with our raw milk.
  • More homegrown meals.
I am looking forward to charting my progress and reading some good books when time allows.  I have Creating a Forest Garden by Martin Crawford requested from the local library and can't wait to get stuck into that.

Let me know if you have any other recommendations. 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck bringing your dream to fruition. Your cow is gorgeous, is she pregnant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan. Thank you for your comment. Yes Cash (the cow) is in calf. Due end of July, so things will get serious then! Nothing like jumping in the deep end with things.

      Delete